Together, the nano explosion and the genomic revolution are ushering in a new frontier in drug delivery. In recent years we’ve seen how polymers can play a crucial role in controlling the rate of drug release, enhancing solubility and uptake, and limiting degradation and toxicity. In the very near future, they may well be used to deliver gene therapy.
While Polymers in Drug Delivery offers much new insight for the veteran specialist, this work has been compiled with the non-specialist in mind. It includes contributions from many of the world’s leading drug delivery specialists, yet avoids jargon and presents background information that initiates the next generation of scientists into the amazing work going on at the frontiers of this rapidly evolving science.
Targeting specific issues at the forefront of drug delivery today, this engaging volume—
· Outlines the issues that must be considered when selecting a polymer for fabricating a drug delivery agent or other medical devices
· Explains the more commonly used methods by which polymers may be characterized prior to use
· Profiles polymer matrices that have been used in the formulation of solid oral dosage forms, drug delivery scaffolds, and hydrogels
· Examines the issues surrounding the encapsulation of biologics within microspheres
· Explores the use of nanoparticulates, especially solid nanoparticles and nanocapsules prepared from largely-water-insoluble cyanoacrylate polymers
· Discusses polymeric micelles and investigates the potential of soluble polymer prodrugs and polymer nanomedicines
· Details the contribution made by polymers and de
Table of Contents
Preface: Drug Delivery – Yesterday and Today. Introduction. Selecting the Right Polymer for Biomaterials Applications. Polymer Characterizations Techniques. The Role of Polymers in Solid Oral Dosage Forms. Hydrogel Drug Delivery Systems. An Assessment of the Role of Polymers for Drug Delivery in Tissue Engineering. Poly (lactic-co-glycolic acid) Microspheres. Polymeric Nanoparticles as Drug Carriers. Polymeric Micelles as Pharmaceutical Carriers. Polymeric Vesicles. Polymer-Drug Conjugates. Polymers Used for the Delivery of Genes in Gene Therapy. Dendrimers in Drug and Gene Delivery.
Uchegbu, Ijeoma F.; Schatzlein, Andreas G.