This book provides insights into communication practices that enable efficient work, successful collaboration, and a functional work environment. Maintaining a productive and healthy workplace is predicated on interpersonal communication between people. In organizations, efficient communication is the foundation of all actions. Contributors to this book cover communication issues in relationships, teams, meetings, leadership, competence, diversity, organizational entry, social support, and digital environments in the workplace. The book illustrates all these issues in detail by presenting both relevant research findings and their practical implications in working life.
Workplace Communication is ideal for current and future employees, directors, supervisors and managers, instructors, and consultants in knowledge-based expertise work. The book is appropriate for courses in organizational and leadership communication or interpersonal communication in a workplace setting.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Foundations of workplace communication
1. Focusing on workplace communication
Maarit Valo & Leena Mikkola
2. Workplace relationships
Leena Mikkola & Hanna Nykänen
3. Team communication in the workplace
Mitra Raappana & Tessa Horila
4. Digital communication environments in the workplace
Anu Sivunen & Kaisa Laitinen
5. Workplace communication in institutional settings
Laura Asunta & Leena Mikkola
Part 2: Dynamics of workplace communication
6. Newcomers in the workplace
Sari Rajamäki & Leena Mikkola
7. Meetings in the workplace
Tomi Laapotti & Eveliina Pennanen
8. Technology-mediated communication in the workplace
Marko Siitonen & Annaleena Aira
9. Diversity and social interaction at work
10. Leadership in the workplace
11. Negative relationships in the workplace
12. Supportive communication in the workplace
Part 3: Developing workplace communication
13. Communication competence in the workplace
14. Developing workplace communication
Leena Mikkola & Tarja Valkonen
15. Future directions in workplace communication
Maarit Valo & Anu Sivunen
Leena Mikkola is a Senior Lecturer in Communication in the Department of Language and Communication Studies, University of Jyväskylä, Finland. Her research focuses on leadership communication and interprofessional interaction in knowledge work.
Maarit Valo is Professor in the Department of Language and Communication Studies, University of Jyväskylä, Finland. Her research focuses on team communication, technology-mediated communication, and communication competence as elements of professional expertise.